Sep 16, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
Nyjer Morgan's seven-game suspension for an alleged incident with fans in Philadelphia has been eliminated upon appeal, but his eight-game suspension for a series of events that culminated in a brawl in Florida has been upheld, according to a source familiar with the decision.
Thus, the total 15 games the Nationals outfielder was originally due to miss will be reduced to eight. Morgan will begin serving his time tomorrow and will miss this weekend's series at the Phillies, plus next week's series against the Astros and the first of a three-game series against the Braves.
Bob Watson, Major League Baseball's vice president for on-field operations, heard Morgan's appeal during a meeting Friday at Nationals Park that lasted more than four hours. After considering Morgan's side of the incident at Citizens Bank Park and gathering more evidence, Watson determined it didn't merit any suspension. Varied accounts of the incident said Morgan had been engaged in ongoing talk with fans and threw a ball into the center-field bleachers that struck a fan who wasn't paying attention.
Watson did uphold his original, eight-game suspension for a series of events that came after the August 21 game against the Phillies. That suspension was handed for intentionally running into Cardinals catcher Bryan Anderson during an August 28 game at Nationals Park, shouting at fans at Sun Life Stadium in Miami on August 31, charging theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies