Sep 16, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
Nyjer Morgan's seven-game suspension for an alleged incident with fans in Philadelphia has been eliminated upon appeal, but his eight-game suspension for a series of events that culminated in a brawl in Florida has been upheld, according to a source familiar with the decision.
Thus, the total 15 games the Nationals outfielder was originally due to miss will be reduced to eight. Morgan will begin serving his time tomorrow and will miss this weekend's series at the Phillies, plus next week's series against the Astros and the first of a three-game series against the Braves.
Bob Watson, Major League Baseball's vice president for on-field operations, heard Morgan's appeal during a meeting Friday at Nationals Park that lasted more than four hours. After considering Morgan's side of the incident at Citizens Bank Park and gathering more evidence, Watson determined it didn't merit any suspension. Varied accounts of the incident said Morgan had been engaged in ongoing talk with fans and threw a ball into the center-field bleachers that struck a fan who wasn't paying attention.
Watson did uphold his original, eight-game suspension for a series of events that came after the August 21 game against the Phillies. That suspension was handed for intentionally running into Cardinals catcher Bryan Anderson during an August 28 game at Nationals Park, shouting at fans at Sun Life Stadium in Miami on August 31, charging theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants