Sep 17, 2010, 2:42 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Bryce Harper, who turns 18 next month, may play in the Arizona Fall League.
Forty-six Nationals prospects have convened in Viera, Fla., and today will begin workouts for the Florida instructional league. Only one of them will be attracting significant media attention: Bryce Harper.
Several media outlets will be present today for Harper's first workout as a professional, just as several media outlets were present one year ago for Stephen Strasburg's first workout (including one represented by yours truly). I won't be in Viera today, but I do have some spies on the ground who hopefully will share some details of the proceedings.
Unlike Strasburg, Harper seems to relish the spotlight, so my guess is he won't have any trouble dealing with all the attention. Ultimately, though, his priorities over the next month are to begin experiencing life as a professional ballplayer, learn a new position (right field, not catcher) and show the first glimpses of what he can accomplish on a baseball field.
Somewhere along the way, Mike Rizzo has an important decision to make: Should Harper move from the instructional league to play in the Arizona Fall League?
Typically, there would be no debate. Of course you wouldn't send a kid who will still be 17 years old when the league begins play on OctoberRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB