Sep 17, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Bryce Harper, who turns 18 next month, may play in the Arizona Fall League.
Forty-six Nationals prospects have convened in Viera, Fla., and today will begin workouts for the Florida instructional league. Only one of them will be attracting significant media attention: Bryce Harper.
Several media outlets will be present today for Harper's first workout as a professional, just as several media outlets were present one year ago for Stephen Strasburg's first workout (including one represented by yours truly). I won't be in Viera today, but I do have some spies on the ground who hopefully will share some details of the proceedings.
Unlike Strasburg, Harper seems to relish the spotlight, so my guess is he won't have any trouble dealing with all the attention. Ultimately, though, his priorities over the next month are to begin experiencing life as a professional ballplayer, learn a new position (right field, not catcher) and show the first glimpses of what he can accomplish on a baseball field.
Somewhere along the way, Mike Rizzo has an important decision to make: Should Harper move from the instructional league to play in the Arizona Fall League?
Typically, there would be no debate. Of course you wouldn't send a kid who will still be 17 years old when the league begins play on OctoberRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader
- Nats miffed at Phillies over postponed game