Sep 19, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya tries to salvage the series for the Nats today at Citizens Bank Park.
Citizens Bank Park hasn't been the friendliest venue for the Nationals. Since 2005, the Nats are 17-36 at the home of the Phillies. It's even worse over the last two years, when the Nats are 3-14 there. In fact, their only two wins in Philly this season came on April 15 (when Ryan Zimmerman clubbed a pinch-hit home run) and on August 21 (when Stephen Strasburg dominated for 4 1/3 innings before his elbow blew out).
So the pressure's on Yunesky Maya today to try to salvage one game out of this weekend and ensure the Nationals don't get swept in any of their three series in the City of Brotherly Love this season. In each of his two previous big-league starts, Maya has struggled through one disastrous inning early on, then rebounded to pitch quite well after that. The challenge today will be to pitch effectively from the start and then sustain that all afternoon.
Joe Blanton starts for the Phillies, facing a lineup that includes Roger Bernadina in center field and Willie Harris in left.
As you know by now, I'm not in Philadelphia for this series. I'll be back on the job tomorrow for the start of the home series against the Astros. In the meantime, enjoy today's game and please continue the conversation with each other…
NATIONALS at PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: Ch. 50, MASN
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 80 degrees, Wind 4 mph out to RF
2B Danny Espinosa
SS Ian Desmond
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion