Sep 20, 2010, 1:37 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Drew Storen could be the Nats' closer, but he may need some backup.
It's been without question the strongest area of the their roster all season, but the Nationals' bullpen is far from a perfect unit, as we saw yesterday in Philadelphia.
Drew Storen's ninth-inning meltdown — four batters, four hits, four runs, game over — was both staggering and not terribly surprising at the same time. As good as Storen has been this season, the rookie right-hander has not gotten many opportunities to close. And he certainly hadn't faced anything like the scenario presented to him yesterday: trying to protect a ninth-inning lead in a hostile ballpark against the heart of the two-time defending NL champs' lineup.
Now, in the grand scheme of things, the Nationals needed to see Storen in that situation. And Storen needed to pitch in that situation. The only way to find out whether the 23-year-old has the, uh, "onions" to close in the big leagues is to throw him into the fire and see if he comes out unscathed.
Yesterday, Storen got burned to a crisp. Now, the Nats need to find out what happens the next time he finds himself in that situation. Does he let thoughts of this blown save creep into his mind and allow it to happen again? Or does he have that character trait required ofRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting
- Strasburg will return next week to face Mets
- Nats look to take advantage of softer stretch, starting with Braves
- Updated: Nats add reliever, activate Moore
- Baseball in the District – Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Around the NL East: Mets being cautious with Harvey
- Bryce Harper leaves game with 'left glute tightness'