Sep 20, 2010, 1:37 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Drew Storen could be the Nats' closer, but he may need some backup.
It's been without question the strongest area of the their roster all season, but the Nationals' bullpen is far from a perfect unit, as we saw yesterday in Philadelphia.
Drew Storen's ninth-inning meltdown — four batters, four hits, four runs, game over — was both staggering and not terribly surprising at the same time. As good as Storen has been this season, the rookie right-hander has not gotten many opportunities to close. And he certainly hadn't faced anything like the scenario presented to him yesterday: trying to protect a ninth-inning lead in a hostile ballpark against the heart of the two-time defending NL champs' lineup.
Now, in the grand scheme of things, the Nationals needed to see Storen in that situation. And Storen needed to pitch in that situation. The only way to find out whether the 23-year-old has the, uh, "onions" to close in the big leagues is to throw him into the fire and see if he comes out unscathed.
Yesterday, Storen got burned to a crisp. Now, the Nats need to find out what happens the next time he finds himself in that situation. Does he let thoughts of this blown save creep into his mind and allow it to happen again? Or does he have that character trait required ofRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder
- Storen leaves game with blister on big toe
- Mets find lefty relief help in trade with Padres