Sep 20, 2010, 7:35 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats open their final homestand of the season tonight against the Astros.
Well, we've reached the final homestand of the season, and it's a long one: Ten games against the Astros, Braves and Phillies before the Nationals head up to New York to finish out the season at Citi Field.
On the surface, this four-game series against Houston might look like the easiest portion of the homestand. Dig deeper, though, and this is going to be anything but easy. The Astros have actually been one of the NL's best teams for nearly four months, going 55-43 since June 1. (I'm sure it's pure coincidence that run began with three straight wins over the Nats.) Houston has also won 19 of its last 27, putting together a strong finish.
Livan Hernandez starts tonight for the Nationals, looking to earn his 11th win and even up his record at .500. Right-hander Bud Norris (8-8, 4.95) starts for Houston, having never faced any Nats hitter before.
Danny Espinosa gets the start at shortstop tonight, with Adam Kennedy at second base and Ian Desmond on the bench.
Check back for updates throughout…
ASTROS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Sunny, 74 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from LF
SS Danny Espinosa
2B Adam Kennedy
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent