Sep 20, 2010, 11:12 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ian Desmond has played shortstop all season and will remain there in 2011.
Since he arrived in the big leagues earlier this month, Danny Espinosa has played almost exclusively at second base, filling in at shortstop only when Ian Desmond isn't in the lineup.
Espinosa, though, came up through the Nationals' farm system as a top shortstop prospect and may actually possess a stronger arm than Desmond. Which raises the question: Would the Nats ever consider having the two swap positions, with Espinosa taking over as the regular shortstop with Desmond becoming the second baseman?
Jim Riggleman had a firm answer to that question when it was posed today: "No chance."
Clearly, the Nationals view Desmond (who turned 25 today) as their long-term answer at shortstop, a conclusion they've drawn over the course of a season that has seen the rookie make some significant strides along the way. Through his first 105 games, Desmond was hitting .260 with a .296 on-base percentage, a .396 slugging percentage and a major-league-leading 27 errors. In 32 games since,Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?