Sep 20, 2010, 11:12 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ian Desmond has played shortstop all season and will remain there in 2011.
Since he arrived in the big leagues earlier this month, Danny Espinosa has played almost exclusively at second base, filling in at shortstop only when Ian Desmond isn't in the lineup.
Espinosa, though, came up through the Nationals' farm system as a top shortstop prospect and may actually possess a stronger arm than Desmond. Which raises the question: Would the Nats ever consider having the two swap positions, with Espinosa taking over as the regular shortstop with Desmond becoming the second baseman?
Jim Riggleman had a firm answer to that question when it was posed today: "No chance."
Clearly, the Nationals view Desmond (who turned 25 today) as their long-term answer at shortstop, a conclusion they've drawn over the course of a season that has seen the rookie make some significant strides along the way. Through his first 105 games, Desmond was hitting .260 with a .296 on-base percentage, a .396 slugging percentage and a major-league-leading 27 errors. In 32 games since,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies