Sep 21, 2010, 10:42 PM EDT
The Nationals have switched affiliates at the short-season Class A level, signing a player-development contract with the Auburn Doubledays of the New York-Penn League.
The two-year deal with Auburn, which had previously been affiliated with the Blue Jays, runs through 2012 and ends the Nats’ longstanding affiliation with the New York-Penn club in Burlington, Vt. The Vermont Lake Monsters had been this franchise’s short-season Class A affiliate since 1994, when they were known as the Vermont Expos.
The Doubledays (named for Civil War general, Auburn native and man who incorrectly was credited with inventing baseball) are located 35 miles west of Syracuse, home of the Nationals’ Class AAA affiliate. They play in 2,706-seat Falcon Park, built in 1995.
“We are delighted to add Auburn to the Nationals’ family,” team president Stan Kasten said in a press release. “This agreement again narrows the footprint of our minor-league system, and starting next summer, Auburn and the Doubledays’ fan base will get their first glimpse at the rewards reaped from both our scouting and player development systems.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best