Sep 21, 2010, 10:42 PM EDT
The Nationals have switched affiliates at the short-season Class A level, signing a player-development contract with the Auburn Doubledays of the New York-Penn League.
The two-year deal with Auburn, which had previously been affiliated with the Blue Jays, runs through 2012 and ends the Nats’ longstanding affiliation with the New York-Penn club in Burlington, Vt. The Vermont Lake Monsters had been this franchise’s short-season Class A affiliate since 1994, when they were known as the Vermont Expos.
The Doubledays (named for Civil War general, Auburn native and man who incorrectly was credited with inventing baseball) are located 35 miles west of Syracuse, home of the Nationals’ Class AAA affiliate. They play in 2,706-seat Falcon Park, built in 1995.
“We are delighted to add Auburn to the Nationals’ family,” team president Stan Kasten said in a press release. “This agreement again narrows the footprint of our minor-league system, and starting next summer, Auburn and the Doubledays’ fan base will get their first glimpse at the rewards reaped from both our scouting and player development systems.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug