Sep 22, 2010, 4:45 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ivan Rodriguez's two-run homer sparked the Nats' seven-run rally.
The explosion was in there somewhere. Someone just needed to light the match. Who could have predicted it would come in the form of a two-run homer by Ivan Rodriguez, off the foul pole, on an 0-2, two-out pitch in the bottom of the eighth?
And who could have predicted that blast would set in motion one of the most impressive rallies of the season, one that featured seven runs, six hits, eight straight batters reaching base, all with two outs?
"You could kind of feel the momentum shift," Tyler Clippard said. "And then Pudge came up and changed the game completely with one swing. After that, we all jumped on his back and everyone followed suit, which was awesome to see."
It turned into quite the scene, this parade of Nationals batters stepping to the plate, stroking a hit to just about any part of the field and then racing around the bases as the Astros stood there dazed and confused while the announced crowd of 11,893 went bananas.
There would still be some intrigue before the Nats' 8-4 victory was complete — more on that in a bit — but at night's end, this was asRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?