Sep 22, 2010, 4:45 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ivan Rodriguez's two-run homer sparked the Nats' seven-run rally.
The explosion was in there somewhere. Someone just needed to light the match. Who could have predicted it would come in the form of a two-run homer by Ivan Rodriguez, off the foul pole, on an 0-2, two-out pitch in the bottom of the eighth?
And who could have predicted that blast would set in motion one of the most impressive rallies of the season, one that featured seven runs, six hits, eight straight batters reaching base, all with two outs?
"You could kind of feel the momentum shift," Tyler Clippard said. "And then Pudge came up and changed the game completely with one swing. After that, we all jumped on his back and everyone followed suit, which was awesome to see."
It turned into quite the scene, this parade of Nationals batters stepping to the plate, stroking a hit to just about any part of the field and then racing around the bases as the Astros stood there dazed and confused while the announced crowd of 11,893 went bananas.
There would still be some intrigue before the Nats' 8-4 victory was complete — more on that in a bit — but at night's end, this was asRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats believe Ramos can catch 125 games
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander
- Rizzo talks up Espinosa amid trade rumors
- Report: Phillies willing to trade All-Star Dominic Brown
- Long-time Nats nemesis Halladay retires
- La Russa, Cox, Torre elected to Hall of Fame
- Lefties on agenda as Winter Meetings begin
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance