Sep 22, 2010, 4:37 PM EDT
Tyler Clippard never set out to win 10 games or strike out 100 batters. Few relievers would even set such lofty goals for themselves at the start of a season.
The workhorse of the Nationals bullpen, though, achieved each milestone last night against the Astros and in the process etched his place in baseball history.
Clippard is the first Washington-based reliever to win 10 games since Dennis Higgins of the 1969 Senators and the first to record 100 strikeouts since Bump Hadley of the 1931 Senators, according to baseball-reference.com. He’s also only the second major-league reliever to pull off the 10-win, 100-strikeout combo this century, joined by Juan Rincon of the 2004 Twins.
“It’s humbling,” Clippard said. “I don’t really know what to say. It’s just one of those things that’s taken place. I’ve gotten used a lot this year, and I’ve been loving to get in there as much as I can and help contribute as much as I can. And here we are.”
<a href="http://www.csnwashington.com/09/22/10/Zuckerman-Clippard-Pulls-Off-Rare-10100-/landing_v3.html?blockID=316018&feedID=5685" target="_
blank”>Read more about Clippard’s rare feat on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off