Sep 22, 2010, 10:08 PM EST
Last night's ninth inning — in which Jim Riggleman pulled Drew Storen with two outs in the ninth and the Nationals leading by four runs — produced plenty of armchair managing from media members and fans alike. Thanks to all of you who commented in the earlier thread; there were some fantastic points made on both sides of the argument.
I don't want to harp too much on the subject, but I do want to present some thoughts that were provided today from both Riggleman and Storen. The key point they seemed to make — especially Storen — was that this wasn't nearly as big a deal as everyone has tried to make it. Yes, Storen was upset to get yanked, but not at Riggleman, at himself for not getting the job done. He said he completely understood his manager's thinking.
Storen also wanted to make it clear that he is worried neither about losing confidence in himself nor about Riggleman losing confidence in him. As both men have pointed out, Storen isn't this team's closer … yet. He still has to earn that title.
Here are the full quotes from both guys. Riggleman's comments are from his pre-game press conference will all media. Storen's comments are from a one-on-one interview I conducted with him after batting practice (and after Riggleman spoke)…
Q: With Storen last night, obviously your first priority is to win the game. When it comes to him, do you worry about shaking his confidence when you take him out? Or do you have to set that aside,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires