Sep 22, 2010, 10:08 PM EDT
Last night's ninth inning — in which Jim Riggleman pulled Drew Storen with two outs in the ninth and the Nationals leading by four runs — produced plenty of armchair managing from media members and fans alike. Thanks to all of you who commented in the earlier thread; there were some fantastic points made on both sides of the argument.
I don't want to harp too much on the subject, but I do want to present some thoughts that were provided today from both Riggleman and Storen. The key point they seemed to make — especially Storen — was that this wasn't nearly as big a deal as everyone has tried to make it. Yes, Storen was upset to get yanked, but not at Riggleman, at himself for not getting the job done. He said he completely understood his manager's thinking.
Storen also wanted to make it clear that he is worried neither about losing confidence in himself nor about Riggleman losing confidence in him. As both men have pointed out, Storen isn't this team's closer … yet. He still has to earn that title.
Here are the full quotes from both guys. Riggleman's comments are from his pre-game press conference will all media. Storen's comments are from a one-on-one interview I conducted with him after batting practice (and after Riggleman spoke)…
Q: With Storen last night, obviously your first priority is to win the game. When it comes to him, do you worry about shaking his confidence when you take him out? Or do you have to set that aside,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg departs in 2nd inning with new ailment
- Strasburg leaves after 16 pitches, Reds beat Nationals 5-2
- Rendon resumes rehab, plays 7 innings at AA
- Strasburg back on mound for key start in Cincy
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news
- MLB Power Rankings: Astros, Twins are early season surprises
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw
- Stars shine in Nats' 9th straight series win