Sep 23, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
Stan Kasten will resign as president of the Nationals at the end of the season, ending a tenure that began when the Lerner family took ownership of the franchise in 2006.
Kasten informed players of his pending departure during a pregame meeting in the Nationals Park clubhouse.
More to come…
UPDATE AT 3:07 P.M. — Kasten just spent 18 minutes talking to media members in the Nationals' dugout. The nuts-and-bolts…
– He said he told the Lerner family all along he would commit to five years, which ends at the end of this season. Said his decision is not a reflection of his relationship with the owners. "This is just about me," he said. "This has nothing to do with anybody else."
– He wouldn't reveal whether he'll retain his minority stake in ownership of the club, though he pointed out that if he ends up working for another MLB franchise, he'll be required to sell his share.
– He isn't classifying this as a retirement, though he doesn't intend to work immediately. "I don't feel like retiring," he said. "I'm going to doRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins
- Mets set plan for Harvey with Strasburg in mind
- Point/Counterpoint: Will Nats regret Zim's contract?
- Report: Marlins showing strong interest in LaRoche
- Nats minor league coordinator Beasley leaves for Rangers
- Former Nats RP Duke gets paid after career turnaround
- Braves to meet with top free agent Jon Lester