Sep 23, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
Stan Kasten will resign as president of the Nationals at the end of the season, ending a tenure that began when the Lerner family took ownership of the franchise in 2006.
Kasten informed players of his pending departure during a pregame meeting in the Nationals Park clubhouse.
More to come…
UPDATE AT 3:07 P.M. — Kasten just spent 18 minutes talking to media members in the Nationals' dugout. The nuts-and-bolts…
– He said he told the Lerner family all along he would commit to five years, which ends at the end of this season. Said his decision is not a reflection of his relationship with the owners. "This is just about me," he said. "This has nothing to do with anybody else."
– He wouldn't reveal whether he'll retain his minority stake in ownership of the club, though he pointed out that if he ends up working for another MLB franchise, he'll be required to sell his share.
– He isn't classifying this as a retirement, though he doesn't intend to work immediately. "I don't feel like retiring," he said. "I'm going to doRead more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs