Sep 23, 2010, 4:30 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Danny Espinosa snapped out of a 5-for-51 slump with a triple and go-ahead homer.
As the outs piled up and the first slump of his big-league career moved into full swing, Danny Espinosa could have started panicking. He could have worried about getting benched. He could have started doubting whether he'd be able to hit pitching at this level again.
That, however, would not be Espinosa's style. He didn't follow in the footsteps of Troy Tulowitzki and Evan Longoria at Long Beach State by doubting himself. He didn't cruise through four levels of the Nationals' farm system in 2 1/2 years by questioning his abilities. And now that he's reached the majors, he's not going to suddenly start worrying about a little slump.
"It was easy for me to think that I was going to get through this," he said. "I knew I wasn't going to stay in this. It's not me. I know I can play here, and I have to have the confidence that I know I can play here and know I was going to come out of this."
Espinosa said this inside the Nats' clubhouse some 30 minutes after the conclusion of a 4-3 victory over the Astros that wouldn't have been possible without his contributions.
When he stepped to the plate in the third inning, he was stuck in a 5-for-51 funk. Then he tripled off the fence in center field and wound up scoring the Nationals' first run. And when he stepped to the plateRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology