Sep 24, 2010, 10:39 PM EDT
Few people in baseball have as much first-hand experience working alongside Stan Kasten as Bobby Cox. So when the soon-to-be-retired Braves manager says his former boss would make a good commissioner of baseball, the sentiment carries some weight.
“He’s qualified to do that job, absolutely,” Cox said this afternoon before his Braves faced the Nationals in the opener of a three-game series.
Kasten, who announced yesterday he’s leaving the Nats after 4 1/2 seasons as team president, built his reputation while holding the same title for the Braves from 1986-2003. At the time, Cox was serving as Atlanta’s general manager. He moved to the dugout in 1990 and tonight is in search of his 2,500th career victory.
The two remained close even while working for rival clubs, and Kasten told Cox of his plan to leave the Nationals earlier this year. Cox says Kasten has never brought up a desire to become MLB commissioner, though the manager is convinced he’d do well in that position.
“He’s smart,” Cox said. “He knows the game. He’s a lawyer. He loves baseball more than anything. He knows the inner workings more than anybody. He’d be a solid choice in my opinion.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action