Sep 24, 2010, 10:39 PM EDT
Few people in baseball have as much first-hand experience working alongside Stan Kasten as Bobby Cox. So when the soon-to-be-retired Braves manager says his former boss would make a good commissioner of baseball, the sentiment carries some weight.
“He’s qualified to do that job, absolutely,” Cox said this afternoon before his Braves faced the Nationals in the opener of a three-game series.
Kasten, who announced yesterday he’s leaving the Nats after 4 1/2 seasons as team president, built his reputation while holding the same title for the Braves from 1986-2003. At the time, Cox was serving as Atlanta’s general manager. He moved to the dugout in 1990 and tonight is in search of his 2,500th career victory.
The two remained close even while working for rival clubs, and Kasten told Cox of his plan to leave the Nationals earlier this year. Cox says Kasten has never brought up a desire to become MLB commissioner, though the manager is convinced he’d do well in that position.
“He’s smart,” Cox said. “He knows the game. He’s a lawyer. He loves baseball more than anything. He knows the inner workings more than anybody. He’d be a solid choice in my opinion.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return