Sep 27, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya is 0-3 with a 6.43 ERA in four big-league starts.
With apologies to Norman Chad, here are 23 facts, tried and true, about your Washington Nationals…
1. Yunesky Maya may prove some day to be a quality, major-league starting pitcher, but he's not yet. Then again, that's not all that surprising. How many pitchers can be expected to be big-league ready after five minor-league starts? Even Stephen Strasburg got 11 tune-ups before making his debut. I understand that Maya's eight years older, and I understand this was a unique case. But in hindsight, what was the rush getting him up here? Given a choice between the two, would you have rather seen Maya or Ross Detwiler make five big-league starts in September?
2. Speaking of Detwiler, what a wasted year this turned out to be. Obviously, his hip surgery was to blame for it. But it's now been more than three years since the Nationals drafted him sixth in the country (four spots ahead of Madison Bumgarner, eight spots ahead of Jason Heyward) and we don't know much more about him now than we did then.
3. The combination of Roy Halladay starting, the Phillies holding a magic number of 1 to clinch the NL East title and rain in the forecast all day and evening is probably going to make for a really miserable Monday night at Nationals Park.
4. Then again, the rain might help wash away any vomit emanating from the mouths of Philly fans (intentional or unintentional).
5. For all the ups and downs he experienced along the way, Ian Desmond's going to wind up having had a really nice rookie season. If I told you back on Opening Day that he'd wind up hitting nearly .280Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)