Sep 27, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
The Nationals have named first baseman Tyler Moore and left-hander Tom Milone as their minor-league player and pitcher of the year, respectively.
Moore, a 16th round pick in the 2008 draft, enjoyed a breakthrough season at Class A Potomac, hitting .269 with 31 homers, 111 RBI, 43 doubles and 78 runs scored in 129 games. He led the Carolina League in most key offensive categories, won league MVP honors, and tied for ninth among all minor leaguers in home runs.
Milone, a 10th round pick in 2008, went 12-5 with a 2.85 ERA in 27 starts for Class AA Harrisburg. Though he doesn’t possess overpowering stuff, Milone struck out 155 batters in 158 innings, issuing only 23 walks along the way. The 23-year-old allowed two earned runs or fewer in 70 percent of his starts.
Both players will be honored before Tuesday night’s game at Nationals Park.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed