Sep 27, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
The Nationals have named first baseman Tyler Moore and left-hander Tom Milone as their minor-league player and pitcher of the year, respectively.
Moore, a 16th round pick in the 2008 draft, enjoyed a breakthrough season at Class A Potomac, hitting .269 with 31 homers, 111 RBI, 43 doubles and 78 runs scored in 129 games. He led the Carolina League in most key offensive categories, won league MVP honors, and tied for ninth among all minor leaguers in home runs.
Milone, a 10th round pick in 2008, went 12-5 with a 2.85 ERA in 27 starts for Class AA Harrisburg. Though he doesn’t possess overpowering stuff, Milone struck out 155 batters in 158 innings, issuing only 23 walks along the way. The 23-year-old allowed two earned runs or fewer in 70 percent of his starts.
Both players will be honored before Tuesday night’s game at Nationals Park.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Strasburg, Nationals look to secure series win vs. Mariners
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League