Sep 28, 2010, 11:49 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Jesus Flores has been participating in full in the Florida instructional league.
Encouraging news from Viera, where Jesus Flores is playing at full strength in instructional league games and giving Nationals officials reason to believe he's still in their long-term plans.
Flores, still rehabbing from a shoulder injury that dates back to May 2009, has been participating in full in the instructional league. He homered in his first game, has driven several other balls off the fence and has thrown to all bases with no troubles.
"He's hitting the ball very well at the plate, as expected," Mike Rizzo said. "He's making throws to all the bases. He caught six innings yesterday. He's getting into the swing of catching every day. He's full-go to do everything."
Flores is expected to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic, then report to spring training and battle for a roster spot alongside IvanRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent