Sep 28, 2010, 11:49 PM EST
Photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Jesus Flores has been participating in full in the Florida instructional league.
Encouraging news from Viera, where Jesus Flores is playing at full strength in instructional league games and giving Nationals officials reason to believe he's still in their long-term plans.
Flores, still rehabbing from a shoulder injury that dates back to May 2009, has been participating in full in the instructional league. He homered in his first game, has driven several other balls off the fence and has thrown to all bases with no troubles.
"He's hitting the ball very well at the plate, as expected," Mike Rizzo said. "He's making throws to all the bases. He caught six innings yesterday. He's getting into the swing of catching every day. He's full-go to do everything."
Flores is expected to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic, then report to spring training and battle for a roster spot alongside IvanRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman passes first test at first base
- Rendon reflects on first full pro season
- Giants lose Hunter Pence to significant injury
- Scherzer "happy" with first start of spring
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action