Sep 28, 2010, 6:56 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis faces Roy Oswalt tonight at Nationals Park.
After last night's debacle, the Nationals resume their final home series of the season tonight, with slightly less at stake for the visiting Phillies. Having clinched not only the NL East title last night but also the NL's best record, Philadelphia literally has nothing left to play for.
So there will be nothing at stake tonight other than a ballgame, not to mention the pride of all those involved. First and foremost on that list will be Jason Marquis, who makes the final start of what has been far and away the worst season of his career. If I had said back in February that Marquis, on September 28, would be shooting for win No. 3, what would you have thought? That, of course, is the predicament the veteran right-hander finds himself in tonight, hoping to "improve" to 3-9 and "lower" his ERA into the 6.00s.
Little tweak to the Nationals' lineup tonight: Danny Espinosa will bat sixth, with Nyjer Morgan leading off and Roger Bernadina behind him. They'll be facing Roy Oswalt, trying to beat him for the third time in five tries this season. Considering that this start means nothing for Oswalt other than as a means to get some work in and tune up for the playoffs, I'd be surprised if he goes more than five innings, six tops.
Check back for updates throughout…
PHILLIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 77 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
LF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
1B Adam Dunn
NL EAST STANDINGS
*Through Saturday's games
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
*Through Saturday's games
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Putting Scherzer's no-hitters into historical context
- Escobar error spoils Scherzer's bid for perfect game
- Scherzer throws 2nd no-hitter of season, shuts out Mets
- Scherzer tries to finish season on high note
- Harper out of nightcap after taking pitch off leg
- Harper homers, as Nats take 1st of doubleheader at Mets
- MLB Power Rankings: Cubs, Pirates set for wild card game
- Williams: "Nobody's spoken to me ... at this point"
- Nats, Mets begin doubleheader in final series
- Matt Williams may be fired, but how much blame for Rizzo?