Sep 29, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Dunn's bat has directly contributed to 16 Nationals wins this season.
I know just about everything has been said about Adam Dunn and his future with the Nationals, and people may be growing tired of it. Dunn himself certainly is. But I've been doing some research this morning, and I want to pass along this one final bit of information, because I think it's pertinent to the debate.
If the ultimate issue with Dunn is whether his positive offensive performance outweighs his negative defensive performance, then doesn't the question boil down to this: How many games has he won with his bat this year, and how many games has he lost with his glove?
There's no easy way to calculate the defensive question, not without going back and analyzing every defensive play Dunn was involved in over the the last 158 games. I did, however, come up with one method of evaluating his offensive contribution: How many times his offensive production has been the difference in the Nationals winning a game.
How do you figure that out? Well, I decided to look up how many times this season Dunn's RBI total was greater than or equal to the Nats' margin of victory.
The answer: 16.
Is that a lot? Is that a little? Is that average? I had no idea. So I started running the same test with some other Nationals regulars. Ryan Zimmerman has done it 10 times. Ian Desmond has done it sixRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats