Sep 29, 2010, 4:45 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Dunn is mobbed by teammates after winning tonight's game.
If you were in the stands at Nationals Park or watching on TV tonight, you saw plenty. You saw the ball shoot off Adam Dunn's bat and into the night. You saw the park burst into celebration. You saw the rest of the Nationals leap out of the dugout to greet their conquering hero at the play. And you heard the chant ring from around the building one last time: "Sign Adam Dunn!"
What you didn't see, though, came after the Nats' 2-1 victory was complete, after fans started filing out of the stadium, after Jim Riggleman had finished his postgame press conference.
Let's take you inside the clubhouse, where draped over a recliner near Dunn's locker was one of tonight's giveaway T-shirts. The ones that read "Mr. Walk Off" across the front with the name "Zimmerman" down one sleeve.
Someone had crossed Zimmerman's name out and written another one below it. So it now read: "Donkey!"
You already know the majority of Nationals fans want the club to re-sign Dunn. Rest assured the guys in that clubhouse want it just as much.
Ask them what it would be like to play without the big guy in 2011, and they start shuddering.
"It would be tough," Drew Storen said. "He's such a good guy to have in the clubhouse. He's just a good personality to have as a teammate. Obviously, the numbers, the power in clutch situations, speak forRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins