Sep 29, 2010, 11:14 PM EDT
The Nationals thought they had their No. 1 starter set in stone for years to come. But Stephen Strasburg’s Tommy John surgery will leave a massive void at the top of Washington’s 2011 rotation and will leave general manager Mike Rizzo searching for a replacement this winter.
Rizzo said acquiring a No. 1 starter is his No. 1 priority this offseason.
“We need a guy to head the rotation, a front-of-the-rotation guy to put everybody in what we feel is their proper place in the rotation,” Rizzo said before tonight’s game. “That’s the No. 1 priority going into the offseason.”
The pickings on the free agent market are pretty slim, with Cliff Lee the clear-cut prize of a group that also includes Kevin Millwood, Bronson Arroyo, Javier Vazquez, Ted Lilly and Jake Westbrook.
Read the full story, which includes Rizzo’s take on the Adam Dunn situation, on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cespedes debuts for Mets, as Nats aim to even series
- Nats are in a real pennant race now
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win