Sep 29, 2010, 11:14 PM EDT
The Nationals thought they had their No. 1 starter set in stone for years to come. But Stephen Strasburg’s Tommy John surgery will leave a massive void at the top of Washington’s 2011 rotation and will leave general manager Mike Rizzo searching for a replacement this winter.
Rizzo said acquiring a No. 1 starter is his No. 1 priority this offseason.
“We need a guy to head the rotation, a front-of-the-rotation guy to put everybody in what we feel is their proper place in the rotation,” Rizzo said before tonight’s game. “That’s the No. 1 priority going into the offseason.”
The pickings on the free agent market are pretty slim, with Cliff Lee the clear-cut prize of a group that also includes Kevin Millwood, Bronson Arroyo, Javier Vazquez, Ted Lilly and Jake Westbrook.
Read the full story, which includes Rizzo’s take on the Adam Dunn situation, on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw
- Stars shine in Nats' 9th straight series win
- Harper, Scherzer power Nationals past Cubs
- Nats Stock Watch: Scherzer showing why he's the ace
- One more category Bryce Harper leads the NL in
- Some good, some really ugly in Nats loss
- Cubs' farm team trolls Nats, Wizards after walk-off win
- Around the NL East: Another week of drama for the Marlins
- Nationals lose tough one on walk-off vs. Cubs