Sep 30, 2010, 4:21 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nyjer Morgan scored the Nats' lone run in tonight's 7-1 loss.
They gathered behind the first base dugout for the bottom of the ninth. The die-hards. The season-ticket holders. The ones who sit through all the blowouts and the rain delays and the pitching changes and the presidents races and the scoreboard promotions and the dancing ushers and the errors and the blown leads and the extra innings and the occasional walk-off home run.
They don't number in the tens of thousands, but they're there every night through thick and thin. And when the final inning of the season at Nationals Park arrives, they make their way down toward the dugout to bond with each other and bid farewell to their team.
What they lack in numbers they make up for in dedication. Lord knows, it takes some serious dedication to support this franchise on a daily, monthly and yearly basis. For six years now, they've been turning out, having not tasted a whiff of anything resembling a pennant race since that first season at RFK Stadium.
And they haven't gone unnoticed by the men in uniform who offered thanks to them all after tonight's unspectacular 7-1 loss to the Phillies.
"The number of fans that comes out is going to double and triple here when we really get it going," Jim Riggleman said. "And we want that to happen sooner than later, but for the ones who are here now, theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense