Sep 30, 2010, 4:23 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler was roughed up by the Phillies last night.
The low point of last night's home finale surely was Ross Detwiler's pitching performance, one that saw the left-hander allow seven runs over 4 2/3 innings, all of the runs scoring via four homers. It was not the kind of performance Detwiler was looking for in his final 2010 appearance, but it probably felt appropriate for a guy who can't take very many positives out of this frustrating season.
After suffering a hip injury last winter that required major surgery, Detwiler missed more than half of the season and wound up making only eight big-league appearances (five starts). Within that timeframe, he went back on the DL with a recurrence of hip pain and returned in September only to pitch sporadically out of the bullpen until the Nats gave him two token starts the last week.
In the end, this was a wasted season for the Nationals' top 2007 draft pick. The club doesn't really know much more about his potential to be a big-league starter now than it did at this time last year. It didn't help that he never fully recovered from the hip surgery, leading to decreased velocity (his fastball ranged from 88 to 91 mph last night) and poor mechanics (Detwiler will work with Steve McCatty next spring on lengthening his stride to the plate, hoping to produce more velocity and less strain on his body).
"He's had pretty significant surgery there on his hip," Jim Riggleman said. "Steve and I were in the dugout pretty much from the first inning on really watching to see if he was OK. We checked with him every inning, and he said: 'I'm fine. My hip is fine.' But I don't knowRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence
- Markakis to have neck surgery 2 weeks after signing with Braves
- Stephen Strasburg goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Nats, Harper settle on 2-year deal, avoid hearing