Oct 2, 2010, 2:40 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya faces fellow Cuban Raul Valdes today at Citi Field.
NEW YORK — After all that rain the last few days, this is a welcome sight: It's a gorgeous, autumn afternoon here in the Big Apple. Feels like October baseball. Which I suppose this technically is, though not nearly as significant as the baseball that will be played next week when the Nationals and Mets are back home watching on TV.
Yunesky Maya makes his fifth and final start of the season for the Nats, still seeking his first career win (or quality start, for that matter). Maya's four previous outings have all carried a similar pattern. He pitches OK but is victimized by one big inning. He's also had trouble consistently finding the strike zone, leading to some whopping pitch counts (he's averaging roughly 5 1/3 innings and 90 pitches each time out). We'll see if he can put everything together today and leave everyone with a good taste in their mouths heading into the winter.
Kind of an, uh, interesting lineup for the Nationals today. Adam Dunn, who since clubbing his walk-off homer Tuesday night is 0-for-8 with six strikeouts, is not starting against Mets left-hander Raul Valdes. So that leaves the Nats without any of their Opening Day 3-4-5 hitters. Today's group: Ian Desmond, Michael Morse and Wilson Ramos. And your No. 6 hitter? Alberto Gonzalez, who needs to drive in at least one more run this season to avoid becoming only the third player since 1901 to have more than 175 at-bats and fewer than five RBI.
Updates to come throughout, so be sure to check back along the way…
NATIONALS at METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Sunny, 64 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from LF
2B Danny Espinosa
LF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Michael Morse
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen