Oct 2, 2010, 10:22 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tyler Clippard has suffered two losses in 18 hours.
NEW YORK — This is what happens when a ballclub limps to the finish line, when a club that is woefully thin on the bench tries to overcome injuries to its top three hitters, when a club that has been out of the race for months sees Game 162 right in front of them.
It doesn't make for pretty baseball, and today's 7-2 loss to the Mets was the latest example. The Nationals put forth another feeble offensive effort, amassing two runs and six hits against Raul Valdes and six New York relievers, watching as overworked reliever Tyler Clippard served up the game-changing homer in the seventh and watched as yet another middle-of-the order hitter succumbed to injury.
Ryan Zimmerman (ribs), Adam Dunn (hamstring) and Josh Willingham (knee surgery) were already out due to various ailments. That left Jim Riggleman fielding a lineup that featured a 5-6-7 of Wilson Ramos, Alberto Gonzalez and Justin Maxwell. Combined stat line for those three guys: a .218 average, four homers and 18 RBI.
And then Michael Morse — one of the few guys actually producing at the plate, having homered each of the last two days — aggravated a nagging hamstring injury and couldn't finish the game. Though he hopes to return to play tomorrow, Riggleman said Morse probablyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'