Oct 2, 2010, 12:07 AM EDT
NEW YORK — For all the shuffling around that’s taken place in the outfield this season, the Nationals might very well enter 2011 with the same group of players vying for three starting spots.
Though the Nats got consistent, everyday production from only left fielder Josh Willingham (whose season ended in August due to a knee injury), they feel like the remaining quartet of Nyjer Morgan, Roger Bernadina, Michael Morse and Justin Maxwell could be more productive than anything they could reasonably acquire this winter.
“I think the most likely scenario is we’ll have pretty much the same group,” Jim Riggleman said before tonight’s game against the Mets. “Now, if [GM] Mike [Rizzo] acquires an outfielder that has superior numbers to these guys, then these guys will be put on the back burner. But I don’t anticipate that happening.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September