Oct 2, 2010, 3:50 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann finished the season with back-to-back strong outings.
NEW YORK — Had this 2-1, 10-inning loss to the Mets taken place in May or even July, the most significant development of the evening might have been the Nationals' utter lack of offense against Pat Misch and Hisanori Takahashi. Or it might have been the game-winning homer surrendered by Tyler Clippard to Josh Thole. Or perhaps the brutally botched fly ball to straightaway left field that wound up on the ground because Nyjer Morgan inexplicably ran all the way over from center field and got in Justin Maxwell's way.
No, this wasn't exactly a well-played game from the Nationals' perspective. And had it taken place earlier in the season, or with more on the line, there would have been plenty to pick apart and analyze.
But this being Game 160 of what will ultimately be at least a 92-loss season, the most significant development tonight was the one real positive thing to happen from the Nats' perspective: Jordan Zimmermann's six stellar innings on the mound.
"That's the bright spot of the night," Jim Riggleman said, "his performance."
It may seem like sugarcoating to focus on the guy who pitched the first six innings of a 10-inning game and who didn't factor into the eventual outcome. But let's be honest here. In the grand scheme ofRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'