Oct 3, 2010, 11:22 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Players congratulate each other after pulling out today’s 14-inning win.
NEW YORK — Earlier this weekend, someone sitting on the Nationals bench brought up the finale from the 2009 season: a marathon, 15-inning game in Atlanta that finally ended with a 2-1 Washington victory.
Justin Maxwell, who played all 15 innings that day, turned and glared at his teammate for even bringing that up.
“I looked at them kind of funny,” the outfielder said, “thinking hopefully it doesn’t happen again.”
Well, it happened again. Not the full 15 innings, but everything else was the same. In Game 162 of the 2010 season, the Nats needed 14 innings to beat the Mets by that familiar 2-1 score. Once again, Washington’s longest game of the year was its final game of the year.
“It was funny because the guys were telling me it’s kind of becoming tradition here,” said Miguel Batista, who pitched for Seattle in 2009 but earned the save today with a scoreless 14th. “Last year they played like 20 innings against the Braves. My first question was: ‘Did you guys win?’ They said yes. ‘OK, because I don’t want to stay this long and lose.'”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers