Oct 3, 2010, 2:21 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez faces Mike Pelfrey in today's season finale at Citi Field.
NEW YORK — So it has come to this, Game 162. That number always seems like a far-away, distant mirage, something unattainable. Then the next thing you know, it sneaks up on you.
The Nationals limp into their season finale on a three-game losing streak, having scored a total of six runs in their last five games. Not much good has happened since Adam Dunn clubbed that walk-off homer against the Phillies Tuesday night. If they can't pull out a victory today against the Mets, they'll finish the year at 68-94. (I should probably point out here that way back on Opening Day, I predicted 68 wins for this team. Dumb luck, I know.)
Livan Hernandez makes his team-leading 33rd start of the season for the Nationals today, attempting to earn his 11th win and keep his ERA under 3.75. He'll be pitching in front of a depleted lineup that is without Ryan Zimmerman (who will have missed the season's final 10 games with a ribcage strain) and Michael Morse (who had to come out of yesterday's game with a hamstring strain).
Adam Dunn, however, is back in the lineup after missing yesterday's game with a minor hamstring issue. In what could be his final game as a National, Dunn needs to club two homers to reach 40 for the sixth time in his career. Three RBI would give him 106 and match his career high. Two more strikeouts would give him 200 for the first time in his career.
Plenty of updates to come throughout the afternoon…
NATIONALS at METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 62 degrees, Wind 15 mph in from CF
2B Danny Espinosa
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Ian Desmond
1B Adam Dunn
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels