Oct 5, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
One of the distinct privileges of membership in the Baseball Writers Association of America is the opportunity to vote for baseball's biggest end-of-season awards: MVP, Cy Young, Rookie of the Year and Manager of the Year.
Two BBWAA members representing each club vote for each award. So there are two NL MVP voters from the Baltimore-Washington chapter, two NL Cy Young voters, two NL Rookie of the Year voters and two NL Manager of the Year voters. (Because we have two teams in our chapter, we also get two voters a piece for each of the AL awards.)
In my 10 years as a BBWAA member, I've voted at least once for each of the awards, and I again had a vote for one of them this year. All votes had to be submitted by the end of play Sunday, and since the results aren't announced until mid-November, I'm sworn to secrecy and can't reveal who I voted for.
Here, though, are my picks for all eight BBWAA awards. You'll just have to wait another month to find out which one actually counted…
NL MVP: JOEY VOTTO
The Reds' 26-year-old first baseman did it all this year, smacking 37 homers, driving in 113 runs, batting .324 and leading the league in on-base percentage (.424), slugging (.600) and OPS (1.024). Throw in the fact he did it for the NL Central champs, anchoring Cincinnati's lineup all season, and he gets the nod over a deep field of candidates that perhaps featured four other players deserving of consideration: CarlosRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip