Oct 6, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
Photo courtesy Tampa Bay Rays
Tropicana Field hosts the first game of this year's postseason.
What better way to get the playoffs underway than with a classic pitching matchup like this: Cliff Lee vs. David Price? Two of the best lefties in the game square off this afternoon at Tropicana Field, with Lee hoping to duplicate his dominant postseason run from last year with the Phillies (4-0, 1.56 ERA) and raise his asking price in free agency in the process, and Price hoping to pick up right where he left off at the end of a regular season in which he went 19-6 with a 2.72 ERA.
This game probably means more to the Rangers, who can ill afford to lose any of Lee's starts, than the Rays, who still have James Shields and Matt Garza waiting in the wings. Texas hasn't had a whole lot of success against Price before. Nelson Cruz (2-for-4, homer) has hit the lefty during their few encounters, but Vladimir Guerrero (2-for-7), Josh Hamilton (1-for-6) and Jorge Cantu (0-for-6, three strikeouts) have struggled against him.
Lee has been less-successful against Texas' hitters over the years. B.J. Upton (7-for-21, three doubles) and Carlos Pena (three homers in 29 at-bats) have good track records against him. Only Evan Longoria (3-for-18) has particularly poor numbers among Tampa Bay regulars against Lee.
I'm not sure how much of this game I'm going to be able to watch, because Stan Kasten is holding his final press conference as Nats president at 3 p.m. at Nationals Park. But if I do, I'll be sure to post some thoughts. Either way, please feel free to discuss the game with each other in the comments section…
SS Elvis Andrus
3B Michael Young
CF Josh Hamilton
DH Vladimir Guerrero
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust