Oct 6, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Citizens Bank Park hosts Game 1 between the Reds and Phillies.
The road to the National League pennant has gone through Citizens Bank Park each of the last two seasons, and it will go through there again this month. Until someone proves they can beat the Phillies, no one can. And, as if Charlie Manuel's club wasn't talented enough in 2008 and 2009, now they've added Roy Halladay and Roy Oswalt to a rotation that already includes World Series MVP Cole Hamels.
Halladay makes the first postseason start of his career this afternoon. That might faze some pitchers, but I just can't see this guy being scared of the spotlight. He had a fabulous season under the glare all season and will probably win NL Cy Young award honors for it. His counterpart today, Edinson Volzquez, has some of the best stuff in either league. But he pitched in only 12 games this season after coming back from Tommy John surgery, so the 27-year-old remains something of a work in progress. If Volquez is on, though, watch out.
The big pregame news out of Philly was the absence of Placido Polanco in the Phillies' lineup. The veteran third baseman, a huge contributor to the club this season, was scratched with tightness in his back. It's not believed to be serious, but it was serious enough to keep him out of the lineup today. We'll see what effect, if any, that has.
I'll try to share some thoughts along the way, and please continue the conversation with each other as well…
CINCINNATI REDS at
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 5:07 p.m.
TV: TBS Radio: WTNT-570 AM
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Orlando Cabrera
1B Joey Votto
3B Scott Rolen
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises
- Nationals Stock Watch: Other hot bats besides Harper
- Hershey's pitches in to help Nationals continue sweet celebrations
- Harper, Williams strongly disagree with ejections from win vs. Yankees
- Harper and Williams ejected again, Nats rally again
- Harper, Williams ejected vs. Yankees on Wednesday night