Oct 7, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Minnesota Twins
The Twins are essentially in must-win mode tonight at Target Field.
It's not that the Twins can't take a lead against the Yankees in the postseason. They've done it seven straight times over the last six years. It's just that they can't hold any lead against New York, resulting in seven straight postseason losses to their arch nemesis. Same old story last night at Target Field: Up 3-0, Minnesota gave up four in the sixth, then after tying it back up in the bottom of the inning, they gave two runs right back on Mark Teixeira's homer in the seventh. Final score: 6-4.
Thus, the Twins are essentially in must-win mode tonight in Game 2. The scary thing is, even if they open up a lead, you just know their past failures against the Yankees are going to be in the back of everyone's minds. This is a significant hurdle for them to overcome. If they can do it just once, it's no longer an issue and they can move on. But until they do it, it's sort of like the Red Sox's mindset all those years when they dealt with "The Curse" against New York.
Either way, it should make for some compelling baseball tonight from Minneapolis, where all those worries about outdoor October baseball are proving unfounded at the moment. It's going to be 71 degrees at first pitch. Maybe it'll even be warm enough for Craig Sager to ditch whatever ridiculous sport coat he's got planned for tonight…
SS Derek Jeter
CF Curtis Granderson
1B Mark Teixeira
3B Alex Rodriguez
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense