Oct 7, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
Photo courtesy Minnesota Twins
The Twins are essentially in must-win mode tonight at Target Field.
It's not that the Twins can't take a lead against the Yankees in the postseason. They've done it seven straight times over the last six years. It's just that they can't hold any lead against New York, resulting in seven straight postseason losses to their arch nemesis. Same old story last night at Target Field: Up 3-0, Minnesota gave up four in the sixth, then after tying it back up in the bottom of the inning, they gave two runs right back on Mark Teixeira's homer in the seventh. Final score: 6-4.
Thus, the Twins are essentially in must-win mode tonight in Game 2. The scary thing is, even if they open up a lead, you just know their past failures against the Yankees are going to be in the back of everyone's minds. This is a significant hurdle for them to overcome. If they can do it just once, it's no longer an issue and they can move on. But until they do it, it's sort of like the Red Sox's mindset all those years when they dealt with "The Curse" against New York.
Either way, it should make for some compelling baseball tonight from Minneapolis, where all those worries about outdoor October baseball are proving unfounded at the moment. It's going to be 71 degrees at first pitch. Maybe it'll even be warm enough for Craig Sager to ditch whatever ridiculous sport coat he's got planned for tonight…
SS Derek Jeter
CF Curtis Granderson
1B Mark Teixeira
3B Alex Rodriguez
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres