Oct 7, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Chien-Ming Wang pitched one inning yesterday in the Florida instructional league.
After the shock and wonder of Roy Halladay throwing a no-hitter in the first postseason start of his career wore off, two thoughts came to mind…
1. With Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels still to come, how on earth is anyone going to beat the Phillies this month?
2. How on earth can the Nationals ever get to a point where something like that becomes possible?
The short answer to No. 1: The only NL team I can see even having a chance of beating the Phillies is San Francisco, and only if Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain and Jonathan Sanchez are equal to or better than Philadelphia's Big Three.
The longer answer to No. 2: The only way the Nationals are ever going to find themselves in a position to do something like that is to keep adding power arms to their system, hoping several emerge as top-notch starters at the major-league level.
At the moment, there are only two legitimate power arms in their big-league rotation: Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann. Strasburg won't be back until next September, at the earliest, andRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"
- Another Nats injury: Zimmerman banged up on diving play at first
- Former Nats All-Star wins closer job with Oakland Athletics