Oct 8, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After getting no-hit in Game 1, the Reds try to bounce back tonight at Citizens Bank Park.
How do you recover from getting no-hit in the playoffs? It's not like we have a large sample of previous instances to base our predictions on. Until Roy Halladay no-hit the Reds the other night, it had only happened once before in the 110-year history of the baseball postseason. So how did the 1956 Dodgers respond to Don Larsen's perfect game? Actually, they bounced right back and won Game 6 of the World Series, 1-0 in 10 innings, behind starter Clem Labine, who went the distance to outduel the Yankees' Bob Turley. Who knew?
It may require a similar pitching effort from Bronson Arroyo tonight, because the Phillies are sending ace No. 2 to the mound in Roy Oswalt. (Cole Hamels still to come in Game 3 Sunday.) Dusty Baker is going with a couple of lineup changes, benching left fielder Johny Gomes in favor of Laynce Nix (career 9-for-17, with three doubles and two homers off Oswalt) and putting Ryan Hanigan behind the plate instead of Ramon Hernandez.
Placido Polanco returns to the Phillies lineup after missing Game 1 with a back injury. He's a vital piece to that lineup, a fantastic No. 2 hitter and a great bridge from the speedy Shane Victorino at the top to Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Jayson Werth in the middle.
I'm heading out to dinner with Mrs. Z and the in-laws, so I may miss most of this game. Please keep up the conversation with each other, and I'll be back later with thoughts on Braves-Giants…
CINCINNATI REDS at
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 6:07 p.m.
TV: TBS Radio: WTNT-570 AM
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Orlando Cabrera
1B Joey Votto
3B Scott Rolen
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend