Oct 10, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Giants and Braves resume their NLDS today at Turner Field.
This is the only of the four Division Series that was tied after two games, and thus the only series that can't end in Game 3. So today's game at Turner Field isn't about wrapping up the series but rather taking control of the series and setting things up to finish it off tomorrow.
In that respect, the Braves have to feel good about their situation. Having stormed back to win Game 2 in extra innings in San Francisco, they return home (where they posted an MLB-best 56-25 record this season) and send their ace to the mound. Because Atlanta didn't wrap up the wild card until the final day of the regular season, Tim Hudson wasn't available to return to the mound until today. But that's not such a bad thing from the Braves' standpoint, the way this all worked out.
A legitimately bad thing for Atlanta, though, is the loss of closer Billy Wagner, who has been removed from the roster after straining his oblique muscle during Game 2. Wagner, who announced earlier this year he will be retiring at season's end, is ineligible to return until the World Series. If the Braves don't get there, his fantastic career may have come to an abrupt and unfortunate end.
CF Andres Torres
2B Freddy Sanchez
1B Aubrey Huff
C Buster Posey
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade