Oct 11, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Derek Lowe faces Madison Bumgarner and tries to keep the Braves' season alive.
Let's answer everyone's biggest question first: No, Brooks Conrad is not in the Braves' lineup tonight. And really, after last night's three-error performance, how could Bobby Cox put Conrad back out there? So Omar Infante moves back to second base and Troy Glaus comes off the bench to play third base. The only problem: While Glaus has 1,337 games of experience at third, he's been there only nine combined times the last two seasons. Not exactly a huge upgrade defensively.
In order to stave off elimination and force a Game 5 Wednesday night in San Francisco, Atlanta will have to play solid defense while also getting a strong start from Derek Lowe, who returns on three days' rest. Lowe has done this five times previously (going 3-1 with a 4.40 ERA) so he's comfortable with the challenge. Whether he delivers, we'll have to wait and see.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy would have brought Tim Lincecum back on short rest had his team trailed the series. But since San Francisco leads 2-1, Bochy instead is going with rookie left-hander Madison Bumgarner, who isn't too shabby himself (1.18 ERA over his last six starts). And if the Braves pull this one out, the Giants will still have Lincecum ready to go for the decisive Game 5…
CF Andres Torres
2B Freddy Sanchez
1B Aubrey Huff
C Buster Posey
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury