Oct 12, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Tampa Bay Rays
Tropicana Field hosts a rare do-or-die postseason game tonight.
We tend to think of these all-or-nothing, winner-goes-on, loser-goes home postseason games as commonplace. But really, they don't happen all that often. In fact, tonight's decisive game in St. Petersburg is only the fifth such showdown (Game 5 in a five-game series or Game 7 in a seven-game series) in the last six years.
And few do-or-die games have boasted a pitching matchup like this: Cliff Lee vs. David Price, a rematch of Game 1. Lee dominated that start, striking out 10 while walking none. Price was less effective, giving up four earned runs and nine hits in 6 2/3 innings, though he did strike out eight without issuing a walk. He'll also be pitching at home, where he was 9-2 with a sparkling 1.96 ERA this season.
Of course, all hands will be on deck for this game, so don't be surprised to see anyone come out of the bullpen. Should be fun. I'll share some thoughts along the way, so check back during the game and please share your own thoughts in the comments section…
SS Elvis Andrus
3B Michael Young
CF Josh Hamilton
DH Vladimir Guerrero
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels