Oct 12, 2010, 1:36 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Second-round draft pick Sammy Solis is pitching in the Arizona Fall League.
The Arizona Fall League gets underway today, with seven players out of the Nationals' farm system participating but not the one many hoped to see out in the desert.
Bryce Harper, the No. 1 overall pick in this summer's draft, is not on the Scottsdale Scorpions' roster as the league begins. That could still change if general manager Mike Rizzo decides the young outfielder (who turns 18 on Saturday) is ready for the challenge, but that seems unlikely at this point.
Rizzo and Nats manager Jim Riggleman were among the team officials who saw Harper and others play in the Florida instructional league last week. Though the top draft pick had his moments during his first taste of professional baseball, most who saw him firsthand don't believe he's advanced enough to face the top talent that will be playing in Arizona.
So the seven players who will represent the Nationals in Scottsdale are right-handers Adam Carr, Cole Kimball and Brad Peacock, left-handerRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order