Oct 13, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Derek Norris homered and drew two walks in his Arizona Fall League debut.
Some Wednesday morning thoughts as you try not to think about the fact former Expos GM Omar Minaya once traded Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips and Grady Sizemore to the Indians for Bartolo Colon…
If you're still harboring any pie-in-the-sky hopes that the Nationals might somehow pony up the money to acquire Lee this winter, can we just quash those pipe dreams already? Sorry, but it ain't happening. After two brilliant performances in the ALDS (and the prospect of more to come in the ALCS) Lee's asking price keeps getting higher and higher. Reasoned speculation already has the left-hander getting a five-year contract in the neighborhood of $115 million.
Yeah, that's $23 million a year. For a pitcher. The Nats aren't doing that.
It's fair to question, though, whether any team should be paying out that kind of money for a pitcher. As fantastic as Lee has been, is he really worth $115 million? Is any pitcher?
History suggests the answer is no. Have you ever looked at the list of the biggest contracts ever given to pitchers? Check it out…
$100 MILLION-PLUS PITCHING CONTRACTS
1. CC Sabathia, Yankees (7 years, $161 million)
2. Johan Santana, Mets (6 years, $137.5 million)
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series