Oct 14, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Bryce Harper will continue to learn how to play right field while at the Arizona Fall League.
The news yesterday of Bryce Harper's imminent assignment to the Arizona Fall League surely had many of you wondering if this is a sign the No. 1 draft pick's path to the majors might have just been sped up a bit.
The short answer: Probably not.
The decision to send Harper to Arizona has less to do with his current ability level and more to do with his need to be playing baseball somewhere right now. Had he simply stayed home in Las Vegas, he'd be working out on his own, with some old friends from high school. And he'd show up in Viera in February — at big-league camp, remember — with three weeks of instructional ball as his only experience at the professional level.
That wasn't going to do anyone any good. So Mike Rizzo decided to have Harper play in the AFL. As a member of the Scottsdale Scorpions' taxi squad, he'll only be able to play on Wednesdays and Saturdays (unless a teammate gets hurt) but he'll be participating in pregame drills every day with top professional prospects who are several years older than he.
"I just felt we weren't doing him justice by sending him home and working out with a high school team and lifting weights on his own," Rizzo said yesterday. "This an opportunity for us to have this guyRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"