ALCS Game 1: Yankees at Rangers

Oct 15, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT

Photo courtesy Texas Rangers
Rangers Ballpark in Arlington hosts its first ALCS beginning tonight.

For all the attention lavished upon CC Sabathia (and deservedly so) let's not forget the left-hander who will be taking the mound tonight for the Rangers. C.J. Wilson is quite deserving of attention himself, having transformed himself from a middle reliever to a successful closer to a 15-game winner in his first season as a big-league starter. And he wasn't too shabby in his postseason debut, shutting out the Rays over 6 1/3 innings and allowing only two hits in the process.

Wilson also has had impressive success in his career many of the members of tonight's Yankees lineup: Mark Teixeira (0-for-5), Curtis Granderson (0-for-6), Brett Gardner (0-for-5), Jorge Posada (0-for-3), Brett Gardner (0-for-5) and, of course, Alex Rodriguez (1-for-13). For a Texas squad trying to get to Cliff Lee in Game 3 with the series tied, a Wilson victory tonight over Sabathia would be huge.

I'll have some thoughts along the way, and as always, please share your thoughts as well…

AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES — GAME 1
NEW YORK YANKEES at TEXAS RANGERS
Where: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
Gametime: 8:07 p.m.
TV: TBS Radio: WTEM-980 AM
Weather: Clear, 82 degrees

YANKEES
SS Derek Jeter
RF Nick Swisher
1B Mark Teixeira
3B Alex Rodriguez

1. Section 223 - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Go Ex-Nats!, er Senators!

2. BethesdaFan - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Mark -I Googled the term "taxi squad" for more information and got 275,000 hits — 1st Wikipedia , then 5 dictionary definitions, and your 13 Oct blog is 6th!

3. Mark Zuckerman - Oct 16, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Bethesda Fan: Really? Wow, that's pretty cool.

4. Jim Webster - Oct 16, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Senators 2.0 making CC's 7 years, $161 million look like no bargain.

5. Michael J. Hayde - Oct 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM

A merciful end to a pretty shabby inning. It's one thing when the Nats have 1st innings like this, but these are the YANKS. Luckily the Bombers are great at late-inning combacks.LET'S GO YANKEES!

6. Doc - Oct 16, 2010 at 2:03 AM

Reportedly, Nolan Ryan's 'first pitch throw out' was registered at 88 on the speed gun. I'm thinking that we may have some leg pulling going on here. But if true, not bad at all for a 63 year old guy.

7. BQ - Oct 16, 2010 at 2:19 AM

maybe we could sign him as a free agent.rangers are in strong position. to be honest, before the match I didn't give Wilson and rangers much chance against CC and Yanks. they proven me wrong so far. Oh, by the way as good as Lee is, I think everyonne is bragging way too much about him. He is great no doubt about it but the way they are talking about him, it seems like Rangers have put all their eggs in one basket or something.

8. JaneB - Oct 16, 2010 at 3:14 AM

OMG. This is horrifying. And horrifyingly familiar.

9. Matt - Oct 16, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Ugh. It seems like nothing could make me hate the Yankees more, and then this comes along.

10. Michael J. Hayde - Oct 16, 2010 at 3:36 AM

Strike that "blown call" from the 1st – replays show Sabathia applied the tag just ahead of Cruz crossing the plate.And c'mon people… do you really think the RANGERS can beat the Philthies in the WS? Seriously? I don't care how deep your Yankee hatred, as Nats fans you've GOT to root for the team that can best intimidate and defeat the Phils and their obnoxious, infiltrating bandwagon phans!

11. Matt - Oct 16, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Michael, I'm a Nats fan for sure, but I'm a baseball fan first. Which means rooting against the Yankees takes precedence.Of course, I'm hoping for good things from the Giants at the same time. ;)

12. Michael J. Hayde - Oct 16, 2010 at 4:01 AM

13. Michael J. Hayde - Oct 16, 2010 at 4:09 AM

"I'm a baseball fan first. Which means rooting against the Yankees takes precedence."(BOOP) Answer does not compute. Yankees most storied franchise in sports history. Team defines Baseball to the World at large.Sorry… that was my laptop "talking." I made a few modifications to it some months ago….Well I said the Yanks were great at late-inning comebacks, but that one was unbelievable. John Sterling called it possibly the greatest comeback in Yankee postseason history.

14. Anonymous - Oct 16, 2010 at 5:58 AM

Michael, a lot of people root against Duke because they're Duke. A lot of people root against the Yankees because they're the Yankees. It's the success that creates the backlash. Win 40 pennants and 27 World Series titles and you make some enemies. You may not agree, but it certainly computes.Sterling's memory is pretty short. Off the top of my head I give you Game 1 of the 1998 WS. As Michael Kay said, while losing his voice: "seven runs … in the seventh inning … of the first game … of the best of seven series. And the Yankees lead 9-5!"John C.

15. dryw - Oct 16, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Matt, you just articulated my feelings perfectly, far better than I could have done myself. Go non-Yankee-teams!

16. Jim Webster - Oct 16, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Michael needs to separate the Phillies' team from their unsavory fans, who even heckled my wife in a wheelchair when we showed up at Citizens Bank Park a couple of years back.Some of us who were at least mildly Orioles followers through Washington's 33 years in the wilderness have a visceral dislike for arrogance in pinstripes.And in my case, a Phillies attraction goes back to 1949 when Richie Ashburn, Robin Roberts, Curt Simmons and Charlie Bicknell signed a baseball for me. Wish I still had it.

17. Anonymous8 - Oct 16, 2010 at 12:25 PM

A couple of us mentioned that if the Yankees got Carl Crawford that maybe the Nats would give up Brett Gardner.After watching what he did on that infield hit that started the rally in the 8th, I don't think they give him up.Amazing game. When I turned on the TV in the 6th I was shocked to see the score 5-0 in favor of the Rangers. What I knew was something the Nats have never figured out—you wear out the other team's starting pitcher and then abuse their bullpen which is what the Yankees did. It could have been worse if Swisher bunted in the 9th.I am for any team that can legitimately crush the Phillies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Section 223 - Oct 16, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Microsoft or AT&T.

19. dryw - Oct 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Sec 223….only with more money! ;-)

20. Anonymous - Oct 16, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I'd sooner wear a dorky vest than root for the Yankees.

21. JaneB - Oct 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM

At least we all agree that we love our Nats, even in October when the only Nats to be found still playing are the ex-Nats.

22. Michael J. Hayde - Oct 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM

"Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Microsoft or AT&T."Sure, just ask people who bought stock in Microsoft or AT&T!Along with loving a winner, America equates Baseball with the Yankees. And if you don't believe that, just compare the ratings for the WS with the Yankees vs. those without.

23. Michael J. Hayde - Oct 16, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I'll be watching this for days to come!http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12833591&topic_id=14872014&c_id=nyyAnd look at Nolan Ryan at the end. My son saw that and said, "Looks like I picked a bad week to quit drinkin'!"

24. Michael J. Hayde - Oct 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM

"What I knew was something the Nats have never figured out—you wear out the other team's starting pitcher and then abuse their bullpen which is what the Yankees did."Anonymous8, I'm not sure the Nats haven't figured this out, because other teams do it to them again and again and again and again and….What the Nats need to figure out is HOW to do it. The whole concept of patience at the plate – particularly in clutch situations – seems to be alien to them.

25. Anonymous - Oct 16, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Michael, knowingly or not you're being a caricature. I love rooting for a gutty, gritty Yankee team. But they've had so much success that I'm fully aware that a major reason they move the needle are two factors: (1) many, many people rooting against the Yankees; and (2) bandwagon fans who are only fans because the team has had success and have no real affection for the pinstripes. John C.

26. Texas Rangers Tickets - Oct 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM

This is it! The Texas Rangers finally got their ticket to the World Series 2010! and fans start also to get their Texas Rangers Tickets It was no walk in the park. To get to the 2010 World Series the Texas Ranges had to go through a seemingly impossible line of tough baseball teams