Oct 16, 2010, 10:53 PM EDT
The Brewers have asked for permission to interview third base coach Pat Listach for their open managerial position, and general manager Mike Rizzo has granted the request.
Listach, who is preparing to manage in the Puerto Rican winter league, confirmed he will fly to Milwaukee and interview with GM Doug Melvin on Tuesday.
The 43-year-old former Class AAA manager in the Cubs’ system has served as the Nationals’ third base coach for two seasons and will be retained if he doesn’t land a managerial job elsewhere.
Listach has plenty of ties to the Brewers. He played five seasons in Milwaukee and won AL Rookie of the Year honors in 1992.
He’s one of several known candidates for the job that became available when Ken Macha was fired at season’s end. Others in the running include Bob Melvin, Joey Cora, Cecil Cooper, Tim Wallach and possibly Bobby Valentine. The Brewers also talked to Eric Wedge, who is expected to be named the Mariners’ new skipper.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win