Oct 16, 2010, 10:53 PM EDT
The Brewers have asked for permission to interview third base coach Pat Listach for their open managerial position, and general manager Mike Rizzo has granted the request.
Listach, who is preparing to manage in the Puerto Rican winter league, confirmed he will fly to Milwaukee and interview with GM Doug Melvin on Tuesday.
The 43-year-old former Class AAA manager in the Cubs’ system has served as the Nationals’ third base coach for two seasons and will be retained if he doesn’t land a managerial job elsewhere.
Listach has plenty of ties to the Brewers. He played five seasons in Milwaukee and won AL Rookie of the Year honors in 1992.
He’s one of several known candidates for the job that became available when Ken Macha was fired at season’s end. Others in the running include Bob Melvin, Joey Cora, Cecil Cooper, Tim Wallach and possibly Bobby Valentine. The Brewers also talked to Eric Wedge, who is expected to be named the Mariners’ new skipper.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test