Oct 18, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Even if they re-sign Adam Dunn, the Nats should have plenty of leftover money for payroll.
At this early stage of the offseason — with the four LCS finalists still playing and thus the 26 other clubs unable to do much in the way of roster reconfiguration for the next few weeks — most of the discussion centers around which players a team should or should not pursue.
Should the Nationals re-sign Adam Dunn? Should they sign another big bat to play first base? Should they go all-in on the only legitimate No. 1 starter on the free agent market, Cliff Lee? Should they pursue second-tier starters instead? Should they seek to fill their gaps via trades?
All important questions that need to be answered. But there's another question that hovers around every move or potential move the Nats are looking to make this winter: How much will it cost?
Actually, the more pertinent question may be: How much money do the Nationals have to spend? That obviously depends on how high ownership is willing to raise payroll from its Opening Day 2010 total of $66,275,000. Delving into the numbers and the contracts, though, you come to realize the Nats have plenty of room to work with, even if
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip