Oct 19, 2010, 5:36 PM EDT
The Nationals have given Mike Rizzo a five-year contract extension and promoted him to executive vice president of baseball operations and and general manager.
Rizzo, who took over as interim GM in March 2009 following Jim Bowden’s resignation, was named permanent GM in August 2009. His next extension runs through the 2015 season. Rizzo is due to hold a conference call with reporters at 2 p.m.
More to come…
UPDATE AT 1:43 P.M. — Statement from managing principal owner Ted Lerner, who apparently made the decision to give Rizzo the extension: “Mike Rizzo is unquestionably one of the best baseball minds in the game. He has a unique ability to see player talent for what it is, what it can be and how it fits into building a team. Mike has been one of the architects of the rebuilding of the entire Nationals player system, from scouting to player development to big league signings. We believe the talent foundation we are establishing on and off the field will make the Nationals one of baseball’s most exciting teams over the next several seasons.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1