Oct 19, 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ryan Zimmerman has always had a flair for the dramatic. Could he do it in October?
It seems safe to say that the 2010 postseason will be remembered as the Postseason of Cliff Lee. Unless it's the Postseason of Roy Halladay. Or the Postseason of Tim Lincecum.
October creates baseball heroes, players who rise to the occasion and shine under the brightest spotlight, immortalizing themselves in the game's lore. Sometimes, these heroes are already-great players who become even greater legends with their postseason performances (Bob Gibson, Reggie Jackson, Curt Schilling). Sometimes, they're little-known role players who thrust themselves into the baseball pantheon with one epic feat (Bill Mazeroski, Bobby Thomson, Bucky Dent, Aaron Boone).
So here's the question of the day: If and when the Nationals ever reach the postseason, who is most likely to become D.C.'s postseason baseball hero?
Is it Ryan Zimmerman, who in his five big-league seasons certainly has shown a flair for the dramatic? Could Mr. Walk-Off pull another one off in late-October?
Is it Stephen Strasburg, who has all the qualities you want from a postseason ace … provided he comes back 100 percent from TommyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge