Oct 20, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
Yesterday's announcement by the Nationals that Mike Rizzo has been given a five-year contract extension and bump in title was at both times unsurprising and a bit head-scratching.
On the one hand, it makes perfect sense. With the franchise in a much more stable situation now than it was two years ago when Rizzo took over, it's appropriate to add some more stability to the front office by locking the GM up through 2015. The last thing the Nats need to be contemplating right now is another GM change. Rizzo has accomplished quite a bit since replacing the disgraced Jim Bowden, and though there's still plenty more to be accomplished, he deserves the opportunity to finish what he started.
But how long will it take to finish? In some ways, the Lerners handing out a five-year extension suggests they believe it's still going to be a while. Think about it. If, at the end of the 2013 season, the Nationals are still losing 90-plus games, wouldn't it be appropriate to consider a GM change? Rizzo will have had five seasons under his belt at that point. Few GMs are given more time than that before success is required.
But under that scenario, Rizzo would still have two years remaining on his contract. Would the Nationals be willing to eat the money, or would they feel obligated to leave Rizzo in control until the contractRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?