Oct 23, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Giants try to clinch the pennant at Citizens Bank Park; the Phillies try to force Game 7.
The Rangers have punched their ticket to the World Series. Now, can the Giants punch theirs and have three days to rest up and prepare to host Texas in Game 1 of the Fall Classic, or are the Phillies going to fend off elimination again and set up a do-or-die Game 7 tomorrow night at Citizens Bank Park?
Just as was the case in the ALCS last night, tonight's game features a rematch of Game 2, with Roy Oswalt facing Jonathan Sanchez. Oswalt pitched brilliantly in the first meeting and got the best of his young counterpart, so that might give reason to believe the Phillies have the upper hand in this one. But Oswalt, remember, came back to pitch the ninth inning in Game 4 and wound up taking the loss. Thus, the Giants have some level of confidence facing him again three days later.
Then again, Philly has to feel plenty confident about its chances playing at home, having gone 15-4 at Citizens Bank Park the last three postseasons. And until someone puts the final dagger through their hearts, they're still the two-time defending NL champs.
I'm out of town this weekend and won't have access to my computer leading up to gametime, so I'm posting this early, sans lineups. Hoping to watch a good portion of the game, though, but as always I'll count on you guys to keep the conversation going in my absence…
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:57 p.m.
CF Andres Torres
2B Freddy Sanchez
1B Aubrey Huff
C Buster Posey
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'