Oct 25, 2010, 2:40 PM EST
Got home last night after a fantastic weekend in Chicago of artery-clogging food, a re-acquaintance with the Northwestern University campus in Evanston, a heart-breaking loss to Michigan State, lots of walking up and down Michigan Avenue and a random run-in with Barry Svrluga and his Washington Post colleagues at the Marriott. I don't know if the groans we heard around downtown Chicago yesterday afternoon came from Bears fans upset at another Jay Cutler interception or from all the Redskins writers trying to figure out what they'd done to deserve covering what must have been one of the sloppiest NFL games in a long time.
Let's get caught up on the weekend's other developments…
The World Series, of course, is set. It'll be the New York Giants facing the Washington Senators in a rematch of the epic 1924 Fall Classic that brought this town its lone MLB championship. OK, so I can't imagine many people in New York or Washington are feeling much attachment to their former teams right now. Though it's worth noting that despite playing in San Francisco for 53 seasons, the Giants have yet to win a World Series on the West Coast. And the Rangers, of course, are making their first-ever appearance in the Series after 50 seasons as a franchise (the first 10 in D.C., the last 40 in Texas).
You've surely heard by now that the Rangers' clinching of the AL pennant leaves only two remaining MLB franchises that have never been to the World Series: the Mariners (who debuted in 1977) and the Nationals (who debuted in Montreal in 1969). I know plenty of you have no interest in embracing Expos history as part of Nats history,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres