Oct 25, 2010, 2:40 PM EST
Got home last night after a fantastic weekend in Chicago of artery-clogging food, a re-acquaintance with the Northwestern University campus in Evanston, a heart-breaking loss to Michigan State, lots of walking up and down Michigan Avenue and a random run-in with Barry Svrluga and his Washington Post colleagues at the Marriott. I don't know if the groans we heard around downtown Chicago yesterday afternoon came from Bears fans upset at another Jay Cutler interception or from all the Redskins writers trying to figure out what they'd done to deserve covering what must have been one of the sloppiest NFL games in a long time.
Let's get caught up on the weekend's other developments…
The World Series, of course, is set. It'll be the New York Giants facing the Washington Senators in a rematch of the epic 1924 Fall Classic that brought this town its lone MLB championship. OK, so I can't imagine many people in New York or Washington are feeling much attachment to their former teams right now. Though it's worth noting that despite playing in San Francisco for 53 seasons, the Giants have yet to win a World Series on the West Coast. And the Rangers, of course, are making their first-ever appearance in the Series after 50 seasons as a franchise (the first 10 in D.C., the last 40 in Texas).
You've surely heard by now that the Rangers' clinching of the AL pennant leaves only two remaining MLB franchises that have never been to the World Series: the Mariners (who debuted in 1977) and the Nationals (who debuted in Montreal in 1969). I know plenty of you have no interest in embracing Expos history as part of Nats history,Read more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal