Oct 26, 2010, 9:37 PM EDT
The Nationals announced this afternoon that Jim Riggleman will return as manager next season, a revelation that won’t take anyone by surprise since Riggleman was already under contract for 2011 and there had been no previous indication he wouldn’t be retained.
Riggleman, who took over as interim manager during the 2009 All-Star break when Manny Acta was fired, was named permanent manager last fall. He was given a two-year contract, though the deal included a clause that would have allowed the Nationals to buy out the second year for only $100,000. Essentially, today’s announcement is that the club is not enacting the out clause and thus firing the 57-year-old, a move that if made would have taken place right after the season.
The Nationals also hold an option to retain Riggleman for the 2012 season, though that option has not yet been picked up.
Riggleman’s entire coaching staff will return in 2011, including third base coach Pat Listach, who interviewed last week for the Brewers’ vacant managerial job but was informed he won’t be their choice.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader
- Nats miffed at Phillies over postponed game