Oct 27, 2010, 11:00 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
AT&T Park hosts a classic pitching matchup in Game 1 of the Fall Classic.
And so it begins, this unlikely World Series. And what better way to begin than with one of the best pitching matchups anyone could cobble together for baseball's biggest event: Cliff Lee vs. Tim Lincecum. Both aces have been fantastic throughout the postseason, with Lee surpassing even that to put himself on the cusp of legendary status.
I don't expect either lineup to have much success tonight, because I believe both pitchers are going to be primed and ready for this stage and understand the importance of getting their team off on the right foot. Obviously, anyone can come back from a 1-0 deficit to win the series. But you do get the sense the winner of Game 1 is going to be especially well-positioned to go all the way, particularly if the Giants can become the first team in two years to beat Lee in the postseason.
No real shocks in either lineup. Vladimir Guerrero, normally Texas' DH, is starting in right field as expected. He may not be real fleet of foot at this stage of his career, but I sure wouldn't want to take my chances running on his arm. San Francisco, meanwhile, is going with a slightly reconfigured look, with rookie Buster Posey batting third, Pat Burrell cleanup, Cody Ross fifth and Aubrey Huff (usually the No. 3 hitter) down in the 6-hole as manager Bruce Bochy tries to put his best right-handed hitters higher up against Lee.
The first run in this game is going to be huge. Who knows, it might even be enough to prevail. I'll share my thoughts along the way, and as always, I encourage you to share yours as well…
Where: AT&T Park
SS Elvis Andrus
3B Michael Young
CF Josh Hamilton
RF Vladimir Guerrero
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers